Fort Madison’s downtown district will receive a makeover this summer. The city received a $500,000 state grant to help pay for façade improvements for thirteen buildings.
The grant will cover 70% of the cost of the project with the building owners picking up the remaining 30%.
Fort Madison Main Street’s Executive Director Mary Ottoson says the façade improvements are currently in the design phase.
She says the project should go out for bid in early July. Each phase will be bid in a way that one contractor will handle all of the painting or masonry, for example.
The Keokuk Board of Adjustment has signed off on a couple of small changes to the design plans for several garages that will be built behind the former Eagles building.
The property is being re-developed for commercial and residential use. There will be four high-end, upper-story apartments, which require the construction of the garages.