Tri States Public Radio Staff
Vote Expected Soon
Thu March 1, 2012
Keokuk School Budget Cuts
The Keokuk School Board must make some serious cuts to next year’s budget.
Superintendent Lora Wolff says the district will actually lose roughly $550,000 in state aid because of its declining enrollment.
She says dwindling revenues and increasing expenditures mean balancing the spending plan for the 2012/2013 school year will require a reduction of $1.3-million.
The district plans to use cash reserves and unspent balances to cover nearly $600,000.
The rest of the shortfall ($700,000) will have to come from budget modifications.
This after the Keokuk School Board reduced the budget by nearly three-point-five million dollars during the previous three school years.
Wolff says the administration’s recommendations would eliminate 3-4 jobs, after retirements and relocations are taken into consideration.
She says other savings will come from the closing of Wells-Carey Elementary, the loss of a grant for elementary school guidance services, and a reducing in Title I funding due to enrollment loss.
The budget modifications could be approved as early as March 12.
The list of proposed budget modifications includes:
- Reduce a ½ time Elementary PE position, a ½ time Elementary art position, & a ½ time elementary music position (@$60,000 savings)
- Reduce a third grade classroom but add a first grade classroom (@$20,000 savings)
- Replace Hawthorne Elementary Dean position and add a second dean (@$36,000 additional cost)
- Utility Services at Wells-Carey (@$20,000 savings)
- Eliminate full-time custodian, ½ time custodian, secretary, and media clerk from Wells Carey while hiring ½ time custodian and ½ time media clerk at Hawthorne Elementary (@$92,000 savings)
- Reduce a Title I teacher and a ½ time Title I clerk (@$62,000 savings)
- Reduce Elementary Guidance Counselors due to loss of grant (@$315,000 savings)
- Reduce multiple ½ positions at the High School (Media Specialist, Language Arts, Math, & Science) along with Study Hall Clerk and Supervision position (@$180,000 savings)